Preventive maintenance compliance (PMC) is the percentage of preventive maintenance work orders (speaking of work orders… here’s all you need to know about them) that were executed within a schedule.

We will explain how to calculate your preventive maintenance compliance score, which rules you should follow and why PMC is so important to keep your company firing on all cylinders.


How do you Calculate the Preventive Maintenance Compliance Score?


The 4 steps to calculate the preventive maintenance compliance score include:

  1. Defining a preventive maintenance plan and a list of tasks to be performed on each asset;
  2. Executing the preventive maintenance plan in your previously established time period;
  3. Monitoring the number of tasks completed on time;
  4. Calculating the percentage of maintenance work orders completed within schedule.


⚠️ Attention! It’s not enough to just know whether the preventive maintenance tasks were completed or not. You also need to know which ones were actually completed on time and when.

You should try to ensure that all preventive maintenance work is done ahead of schedule. As a rule of thumb, you should try ensure that the time it takes to complete a task equates to 10% of the total time, i.e., if you’re given 100 days to complete a maintenance task, try to do it at least 10 days ahead of schedule.


Why is this golden rule so important in preventive maintenance?

The 10% rule didn’t come out of nowhere.

We know that even at peak performance “only” 90% of maintenance tasks are preventive. The remaining 10% is reactive maintenance due to failures that can’t be predicted. So these guidelines ensure that your team has room for manoeuvre in the event of any unexpected failures. 

👉 You should aim for an 80/20 ratio — 80% preventive maintenance, 20% reactive maintenance.


You should make sure that your MTTR (mean time to repair) and MTBF (mean time between failures) are both healthy. However, it’s best not to take risks.

If you don’t comply with the preventive maintenance plan, you risk accumulating dozens of problems and irreparably harming the operation of the company.


Now that you know how to calculate preventive maintenance compliance and set the goals for this indicator, you just need to design the preventive maintenance plan itself.

To do this, count on the help of a CMMS or an Intelligent Maintenance Management Platform like Infraspeak. Plan and delegate all tasks in the Preventive Maintenance app and review the results in the Indicators app.

Let’s get to work!